Scaling your business while also having a growing family can be a tough challenge for practice owners, but with a solid strategy, it’s not impossible to strike a balance between business growth and family life.
In this episode, we chat with Hannah Dunn, Director and Principal OT at D.O.T.S. Occupational Therapy for Children. Hannah shares the lessons she’s learned on being a work-from-home Director and the common challenges she’s faced as she scales her business and while taking care of a growing family.
She also talks about how she provides pathways for her team members, creates accountability, and maintains a sense of presence even as she works remotely.
- 00:00 – Intro
- 00:18 – Hannah’s Bio
- 01:17 – Starting a family and running a healthcare clinic
- 05:13 – Early days of working as a new parent
- 06:23 – Returning to consulting & importance of a support network
- 08:03 – Benefitting from systems and strong admin team
- 09:44 – DOTS team structure
- 10:30 – Priorities as a new business owner
- 12:16 – Growing as a leader
- 13:30 – Good communication solves everything
- 16:22 – How to handle resignations
- 17:04 – Challenging the team to grow & team pathways
- 19:24 – Being a Multi-D clinic wasn’t for us
- 20:29 – Recruit in a competitive environment
- 27:06 – Transitioning from caseload to running business
- 28:39 – Balancing family life with business
- 29:46 – Presence as a business owner
- 30:59 – Getting team onboard with clinic changes
- 33:32 – Dealing with uncertainty and stress
- 36:29 – Knowing your numbers
- 38:58 – Empathy and connection as a business owner
If you found this episode valuable, don’t forget to give us a thumbs up, share, comment, and give us your ratings on iTunes and Stitcher. We appreciate your support and feedback!