In this episode, Ben speaks with Shawn Goldberg, director and clinical psychologist at Mind Up Psychology.
They discuss burnout and how it affects practitioners in the healthcare industry. The importance of Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) and how clinic owners can support their team members to prevent burnout. The conversation also touches on imposter syndrome and its connection to burnout.
Tune in to gain valuable insights on managing and preventing burnout in the workplace.
- “Do you feel like you’re living and working within your values?”
- “Values and fairness are the two main reasons why people get burned out.”
- “And when you feel like you’re growing towards a core value or a belief, a mission, your own personal mission, of where you wanna be in your career, of what you want to do that would really give you a sense of passion, burnout will trickle away, because it’s a bigger picture.”
- “We know that in Australia, 50 to 60% of people experience burnout at work.”
01:33 Burnout vs imposter syndrome
02:08 6 Triggers of Burnout
02:42 Surprising importance of fairness and values
03:11 Signs/symptoms of burnout
07:21 How clinic owners can support team experiencing burnout
09:08 Why open-ended questions are best
13:20 Brain hack: engage the frontal lobe
15:08 Key driver to work satisfaction: personal values
17:04 Importance of boundaries and flexibility
22:33 Does your team have passion projects? It matters.
30:35 Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)
36:07 How to introduce EAP to the team
38:57 Autonomy and independence impact mental health
42:57 Take a step back and see the bigger picture
44:16 Mental health support in the healthcare industry
Connect with Shawn
If you found this episode valuable, please give us a thumbs up, share, comment, and give us your ratings on:
We appreciate your support and feedback!
Want more growth tips? Check these out!
- Ep. 216 – Building and Modeling Resilience with Dr. Dan Pronk
- Ep. 205 – Managing Stress and Anxiety as a Business Owner
- Ep. 199 – Kim Scott on Improving Workplace Dynamics and Productivity Through Effective Communication
- Ep. 190 – Branding, Team Mentoring, and Stress Management Tips from Psychologist Shawn Goldberg
- Ep. 101 – Dealing with Stress, Burnout and How to Change Your Habits