Get Better Returns On Your Marketing Investment
As a clinic owner you’re probably wondering how you can better understand your ideal client or target niche so that you attract more of those patients to your clinic through targeted marketing campaigns.
You’ve probably had some challenges and frustrations with your marketing or a marketing consultant that has cost you a lot of time and money for a poor return on investment.
The reality is you’ll always be testing and measuring the effectiveness of your marketing strategies.
One of the most valuable marketing activities you must do to so that you have the best foundation for the strategies you test, is that you are targeting the right audience.
The key distinction is that you need to understand who you ideal client is in the first place.
So in this article, I’m going to share with you how to better understand your ideal client.
You’ll be far more effective in your marketing, right from the start.
After working with 100s of private practice clinic owners and as part of the Business Academy, we know how precious your time and money is as a small business owner.
That’s why we equip you with a systemised and measurable approach to growing your clinic and getting a return on your investments, marketing or otherwise.
Who Is An Ideal Client?
Let me ask you, who is a favourite client of yours?
Think of someone who you love to fill your appointment books with…
Your ideal client is so unique to you that it fundamentally puts you into a different ‘business’ to your so-called competition down the road from you.
Very simply, your ideal client is someone that you enjoy consulting with on a personal and professional level.
Typically, there is a commonality of interests e.g. mountain bike riding, golfing, parenting etc that you share. You enjoy connecting with them!
As an extension of that, they often have a health need (acute or chronic, reactive or preventative) that aligns with your skills set, professional knowledge and career interests i.e. You can help them!
There are likely to be some other connections on a micro level like they commit to appointments, willing to pay for what your worth, talks favourably about you in public and refers people, connects well with your team etc etc etc
On a macro level, you connect well with them personally and you contribute to them fully in your professional ability to help their health and wellness.
Why You Should Focus on Your Ideal Client!
It’s unlikely that your appointment book is 100% full of ideal clients…
(Disclaimer: You’ll always serve every client to the best of your ability, it’s your obligation)
However, there are a certain number of clients that are a really ideal fit for you and your clinic, so it makes sense to focus on serving more of these people.
The aim here is to continue to attract and serve more of your ideal clients.
Here’s why it’s so important to focus on your ideal client…
1 of 3: Better Client Attraction
Purposeful Targeting for You Marketing Investment
- When you understand your ideal client with great detail you are better able to target the right audience with your marketing time, effort and money.
- Gary Vee would say “Go where the attention is”, the attention of your ideal client.
Purposeful Messages & Marketing Creative
- Once you know who and where your ideal client and target is, then you can tailor the messages and offers you deliver to that audience.
- You can personalise the message to be highly relevant and practical for that person.
2 of 3: Improve Client Retention
Create & Deliver Your Ideal Client’s Ultimate Journey
- When you can understand the needs of your client better than anybody else, this allows you to create an ideal journey where you can provide multiple solutions for multiple problems.
- Inch wide, mile deep reflects your ability to focus on a small population and provide incredible value and experiences to them because you understand what matters to them.
3 of 3: Make Business More Enjoyable
Work with people you love to see and serve
- Being in business has enough challenges so you might as well do everything you can to work with people who you love to see and serve.
- You’ll experience professional fulfilment when you can help people who need the skills, services and techniques that you offer.
- You’ll experience personal satisfaction when you can care for people that you connect with easily.
What If You Like Working With A Variety Of People?!
First of all, great!
Im sure you have a wide ranging skill set and enjoy variety in your day…
The likelihood to have 100% of you clients every day to be the ‘same’ is unlikely, so, don’t feel ‘trapped’ by having to focus on a specific ideal client.
Remember, what we are trying to do here is:
- Focus our client attraction (marketing) time and money investment
- Provide more value to those people than anybody else by understanding their needs.
Let this exercise of identifying your ideal client serve as a filter for your all of your decision making and action taking!
Whether it’s a thrilling conversation or a great joke that you have each time, there’s something to anticipate when you seem them.
It is great to be able to identify these people and the reasons why you really look forward to seeing them.
The main reason we do this is because if we know who makes the clinic a little brighter, we can start to attract more of those wonderful people and experiences.Let this exercise of identifying your ideal client serve as a filter for your all of your decision making and action taking! Click To Tweet
How To Identify Your Ideal Client
Remember at the top I asked you to think of one of your favourite clients…
Well, who was it? What was their name… write it down, NOW!
Let me ask you… what made you choose that person?
Write down a few lines about the reasons they are ‘Ideal’ for you.
You may have chosen to have more than one ideal client.
We suggest that there is a maximum of 3 ideal clients that you see and serve.
What You Should Know About Your Ideal Client
The magic of this exercise begins when you outline every piece of detail on your ideal client as you can.
Remember that this detail will guide where you go to get their attention and then how you craft messages and offers that are relevant and interesting to them!
- Marital Status
- Family Size
- Household Income
- Residential Postcode
- Employment status + Role
What Excites Your Client?
- What do they enjoy doing and talking with you about? E.g. overseas travel, sports and activities, family?
What Keeps Your Client Awake At Night?
- What are their dangers, Problems, Pain points? E.g. are they concerned about not keeping up with grandchildren, scoring a personal best, not being able to work and support family?
What Do They Need Help With?
- What are their health concerns that you can make a huge difference for them?
- What Goals do they have for their body and health and what will it mean for them to achieve those objectives/goals?
- What are their health concerns that you can make a huge difference for them?
Where Do They Spend Their Time?
- Where do they like to hangout? E.g. social groups, clubs, associations, destinations, cafes, gyms etc?
What do Your Client’s talk about?
- What is trending and part of popular culture for your ideal client’s demographic?
What Do They Read/Watch?
- What do they like to keep up to date on?
Who Do They Follow?
- Who are ‘influencers’ and leaders that your ideal clients follow?
- This will guide much of your marketing messaging and creative, it will also identify what they value
What Do Your Ideal Clients Value?
- What matters to them, what do they need to have in their life, what is important in their eyes?
What do they really want?
- What are their deepest desires?
How You Apply This To Your Marketing
Once you have a detailed insight into your ideal client’s character you then need to apply it.
Here’s how you can apply your insights to your internal and external marketing…
Know Where to Find your Clients – Go where their attention already is
Know How to Capture their attention – Use images and video that relate to them
Know What to Say to Clients – Use language that resonates with them
Know What to Offer Clients – Package services that solve their problems
Know How to Retain Clients – Design and deliver experiences that continually add value to their life
If you want to make business more enjoyable you need to know who your ideal client is with great detail.
Being in business has enough challenges so you might as well do everything you can to work with people who you love to see and serve.
You’ll experience professional fulfilment when you can help people who need the skills, services and techniques that you offer.
You’ll experience personal satisfaction when you can care for people that you connect with easily.
If you want to get a better return on your marketing investment, then you need to know who your ideal client is with great detail.
When you make you ideal client the primary filter for every decision and action, you’ll create an incredible community.
By focusing on your ideal client, you’ll be able to grow your clinic in a way that’s sustainable and fulfilling.
If you want help implementing the marketing creative and strategies to fill your books with more of your ideal clients, then, perhaps you’d be interested in doing a free, no-obligation strategy session with us.
Until next time;
Live with Passion & Serve with Care